General Tso's Cauliflower
This recipe is a delicious vegetarian alternative to a Chinese take out classic.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 Cups EZ General Tso's Sauce See recipe below or use your own!
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Water Approx.
- 1/2 Cup Hemp Seeds
- 3-4 Floret Broccoli Optional, Eyeball match amount of Cauliflower in head
- 6 Cup Vegetable Oil
Cut Cauliflower into bit size pieces
Mix flour and water together in a very larger bowl (large enough to ideally encompass the entire cauliflower head). The consistency should look like a thicker pancake batter.
Heat oil to 375 degrees in a large pot of wok. DO NOT fill above halfway.
Toss cauliflower in batter and drop in fryer for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. If you pot is not big enough to do in one swing that's perfectly fine, do it in small batches. Never overfill a fryer.
While cauliflower is frying, wash out your bowl to reuse.
If you are adding broccoli, quick boil or steam it. Easy method to quick steam broccoli is to put it in a covered microwavable safe glass dish with one inch of water in it on high for 4 minutes
Add fried cauliflower and steamed broccoli to bowl and toss with EZ General Tso's sauce. Use more or less to taste.
Serve and cover with hemp seeds for the missing texture element needed to complete the dish.
- You may substitute our EZ General Tso's Sauce recipe for a store bough variety if you prefer.
- This recipe an easily be made without broccoli for a dish, with broccoli for an entree, or you can serve it with cooked rice as well for a full meal.
- If you have never fried with batter before, please don't let this be your first time. Practice with someone with experience first. Frying is very dangerous.
- To make this recipe even healthier, you can easily substitute the fried cauliflower for baking it. Bake the bites @ 400 degrees for 15-30 minutes.